Now you've done it!

Philipp Niemann niemann at IfM-Bonn.org
Tue Oct 17 09:56:28 PDT 2000

Hello all you Linux-Junkies,

finally I did it and have now a Computer running Linux-From-Scratch.
It took me about 8 Days of Compiling and Configuring to set it up (on
a i486-16MB). On last Friday I had it up running for the first time and
the Weekend brought some extra installations. Now almost all I need is
set up, a main task remaining is the setup of OpenSSH. It is so
unusual to me that I had to install telnet to get connected to our server
in time.

Anyway, I want to tell Gerard that his Book is great and
straightforward. I had no problems installing. Everything that happend
to me was mentioned. It was about that I wanted more when a problem
rised.

Some Example: When compiling gcc I thought about having the
complete language-set offered installed, including java and ObjC. That
is not possible with native LFS, the Build stopped with the ObjC- Lib,
IIRC.
But as I said: In the Book there is the directive to just compile C an
C++ -- and it worked.

Up to now I have -beside the packages in the book- installed bc (for
the make test of), OpenSSL, OpenSSH (not working yet), ncFTP, zlib,
netkit-telnet, lynx (this was quite heavy as glibc-2.1.3 and ncurses
have some incompatibility with the symbol ERR).

It rocks. SuSE 6.3 is a lame cripple compared to the boosting power
and perfomance of LFS. And it feels great to know what it does. My
friend tried to break in with a port scan... Ha! No way man.

I have some ls-lR at different installation stages and a tar.bz2 of the
final state. If you are interestet I could post some or all of it. Or place it
on my webspace someday.

Ok, I think you get the point,
Greetings and have a nice day,
Philipp