problems making make

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 21 10:50:20 PDT 2000

First, I want to suggest adding a warning in the paragraph about compiling
glibc that some features might be disabled if certain requirements are not
met even if the library compiles without errors. Otherwise people might
overlook the messages output by configure. On my SuSe 5.3 I had an old
version of gettext (or was it missing? I don't remember.) and configure
said that some features would be disabled. Of course that problem was
easily solved by installing gettext.
However now I have a problem that I can't figure out.
I ran into some problems building "make".

gcc  -g -O2 -static -o make  ar.o arscan.o commands.o dir.o expand.o
file.o function.o getopt.o implicit.o job.o main.o misc.o read.o remake.o
rule.o signame.o variable.o vpath.o default.o remote-stub.o version.o
getopt1.o getloadavg.o  glob/libglob.a
/usr/lib/libc.a(environ.o)(.data+0x0): multiple definition of `__environ'
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.data+0x0): first defined here
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start;
defaulting to 08048090
make[2]: *** [make] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/large_tmp/benkmann/LFS/extern/make/make-
3.79.1'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/large_tmp/benkmann/LFS/extern/make/make-
3.79.1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Does anyone have a clue?
Thanks for your help.

BTW, I got the "cannot find entry symbol __start" warning when compiling
other packages, too. They seem to work though (i.e. "make check" reports
no failures). Is that warning normal?

MSB

----
For sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org