Balu's 2.4.2 post-chroot

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Mon Oct 23 06:59:00 PDT 2000

Okay - here is the log of my post-chroot-Installation of 2.4.2-Book...
Just ~190 lines this time ;)

Setting up locale
        I need a german setup, so I need
        localedef -i de_DE -f ISO-8859-1? de_DE
        I have to look up the ISO-Number again... 8)
        Is localedef really necessary? While installing glibc we already
        do "make install_root=$LFS localedata/install-locales" - isn't
        that doing the same?

        Install less/more before chroot? I just wanted to pipe ls
        through one of those to see all the ISO-Files...

Creating device files
        Here I suggest to remember people to rm -rf all dirs in
        /usr/src, but not linux and tarballs :).

        Uh - I forgot to install sed?!? Back to pre-chroot... Reading
        the pre-chroot again, I think I've installed it, anyway...
        No I know that not just IRC  makes you forget things ;)

Installing Sed
        8)

Back to post-chroot...

After chroot time does not work anymore, so I can not display
compilation-times here... Why?

HINT - you can do an
alias A="./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install"
for all the packages that need those commands :)

Installing Mawk
        The description still contains "gawk".

Installing Ncurses
        I don't have a ncurses-tarball? Is it included on
        download.lfs.org? - Uh yes, in intel-packages 8) I only wgot
        common-packages...

Installing Vim
        Perhaps write "vim-* directory" in the book to avoid using a
        version-number...  :).

Installing Bison
        Create /usr/bin/yacc "cat-style" (still problems with w3m and
        &nbsp :( -
        We really should make /usr/bin/yacc executable :)

Installing Man
        Different language-packages? ./configure +lang de,en,nl or
        +lang all... -ask? I need to have a closer look at this...
        INSTALL-File says: "follow FHS by putting cat pages under
        /var/cache/man provided that that directory exists." - Create
        it?
        Do we need to set up the makewhatis-database?

Installing Perl
        Put the "If you don't want to ..." in front of the configure?
        (installed with -d as usual :)
        The book tells about a "make test" phase, but there is no such
        phase (anymore...)
        (Failed 5 test scripts out of 229, 97.82% okay. ;)
        cd t; ./perl harness reports
-----
Failed Test  Status Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of failed
lib/io_multihom   2   512     8    8 100.00%  1-8
lib/io_sock.t     2   512    14   14 100.00%  1-14
lib/io_udp.t      2   512     7    7 100.00%  1-7
^^^^^^network
op/grent.t                    1    1 100.00%  1
op/pwent.t                    1    1 100.00%  1
^^^^^^pwords
7 tests and 81 subtests skipped.
Failed 5/236 test scripts, 97.88% okay. 31/11739 subtests failed, 99.74%
okay.
-----

Installing Libtool
        Libtool (and others) complains about missing ldconfig - even if
        it is not necessary really we should install ldconfig earlier to
        prevent confusion.

Installing Consoledata
        kmap-file for germans: i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz

Installing Fileutils
        While doing ln -s it told me that install exists already?

Installing Shadowpwd
       expiry does not have a description yet - man expiry (on debian):
       expiry  checks  (-c)  the  current password expiration and
       forces (-f) changes when required.  It is  callable  as  a
       normal user command.

Installing Tar
        patched it for bzip-support :)

Installing Utillinux
        sed the variables? Nah . need to edit anyway...
        OPT-Variable has to be replaced with -march=CPU (implies -mcpu)
        used (I still don't know what to use for Athlons): -march=i686

I just figured out that I don't have the info-pages installed - e.g. gcc.

Installing Man-pages
        The README contains information on "make"ing an install without
        overwriting newer man-pages - does that work?

Removing old NSS library files
        (where did those files come from?)
        NOT deleted (because I did not copy them at the beginning!

Configuring essential software
        famous cat-style ;)
        None of the textbrowser supported cutnpaste in
        gnome-terminal... (not lynx, w3m, links...) (...)

        To find needed kernel-images: grep image /etc/lilo.conf

        "creastion" -> "creation"
        "Those two files will be be created." - ehm - they will not...
        8)

Creating the setclock script
        "change the UTC Variable below to the value of 1" it is 1!

Creating the template script
        describe the usage of the template...

Creating the /etc/fstab file
	Mine:
	# Begin /etc/fstab

	/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
	/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
	none /proc proc defaults 0 0

	# End /etc/fstab

Installing a kernel
        Which processor do I need for AMDs thunderbird?

---> After-boot:
Installing Netkit-base
	Perhaps there are other etc.sample-files that can be used -
	e.g. hosts for non-network-machines...

net-tools
        "optimzation" typo
	Choosed the following non.defaults:
		gettext: y	 ipx: n
		Appletalk: n	 AX25: n
		net/rom: n	 x25: n

		arcnet: n	 ipiptunnel: n
		strip: n	 token_ring: n
		ax25: n		 net-rom: n
		x.25: n		 dlci: n

        "Edit Makefile for optimization", afterwards you write that you
        suggest no optimization?

Creating sysconfig/network
        "Please not" -> "note"

sysconfig/network
        "chagne" -> change
        was not done... no network-card in my machine

After booting again I had problems with the bootscripts (cutnpaste I
believe) so I got the scripts-tar. And those scripts worked, just the
loadkeys makes problems. It is not able to find a qwertz.kmap-file. If I
load the i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz directly it works.

     Ba-finished-lu

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org