Balu's 2.4.2 post-chroot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 23 15:32:46 PDT 2000

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Okay - here is the log of my post-chroot-Installation of 2.4.2-Book...
> Just ~190 lines this time ;)

only 190? Shame on ya

>         Is localedef really necessary? While installing glibc we already
>         do "make install_root=$LFS localedata/install-locales" - isn't
>         that doing the same?

Not sure, it's not my invention. What i know if: the make
localedata/install-locales installs all the locale files. The localdef
command sets one of the locales (ie: iwth localedef you can change from one
to another)

>         Install less/more before chroot? I just wanted to pipe ls
>         through one of those to see all the ISO-Files...

Hmm...might be a good idea. Anybody else have a comment on it?

On the other hand, open new virtual console/xterm, do ls $LFS/usr/blah/blah |
less and you get the same effect...

> After chroot time does not work anymore, so I can not display
> compilation-times here... Why?

Don't know. Perhaps not enough has been installed yet?

> Installing Mawk
>         The description still contains "gawk".

Thanks.

> Installing Bison
>         Create /usr/bin/yacc "cat-style" (still problems with w3m and
>         &nbsp :( -
>         We really should make /usr/bin/yacc executable :)

Sounds good.

> Installing Man
>         Different language-packages? ./configure +lang de,en,nl or
>         +lang all... -ask? I need to have a closer look at this...
>         INSTALL-File says: "follow FHS by putting cat pages under
>         /var/cache/man provided that that directory exists." - Create
>         it?
>         Do we need to set up the makewhatis-database?

Don't let the book stop you...those things are up to the reader. A simple
reading of the documentation will tell the user that. How far should we go
with dictating what somebody can or should do.

> Installing Perl
>         Put the "If you don't want to ..." in front of the configure?
>         (installed with -d as usual :)
>         The book tells about a "make test" phase, but there is no such
>         phase (anymore...)

Right, is removed from 2.4.3

> Installing Libtool
>         Libtool (and others) complains about missing ldconfig - even if
>         it is not necessary really we should install ldconfig earlier to
>         prevent confusion.

Can be arranged. Expect to be fixed in 2.4.3, provided ld.so compiles ok at
that earlier stage but I don't see why it wouldn't.

> Installing Fileutils
>         While doing ln -s it told me that install exists already?

I noticed that too last friday, has been removed already.

> Installing Shadowpwd
>        expiry does not have a description yet - man expiry (on debian):
>        expiry  checks  (-c)  the  current password expiration and
>        forces (-f) changes when required.  It is  callable  as  a
>        normal user command.

There we go, i don't have an expiry man page coming wiht my shadow password
suite. I'll update it.

> Installing Man-pages
>         The README contains information on "make"ing an install without
>         overwriting newer man-pages - does that work?

I never tested it, a
     yes n|cp -avi man* /usr/share/man
works just as well ;)

It does date checks thta always makes me wary. What if the date isn't set
properly, so it overwrites files anyways. I rather do a "never overwrite
files even ifyou have got newer files"

> Creating the setclock script
>         "change the UTC Variable below to the value of 1" it is 1!

Right. My mistake (whoe elses eh)

> Creating the template script
>         describe the usage of the template...

Being worked on.

> Installing a kernel
>         Which processor do I need for AMDs thunderbird?

i686 would be my best guess. Perhaps the Athlon/K7 option (2.4 kernels only)

> ---> After-boot:
> Installing Netkit-base
> 	Perhaps there are other etc.sample-files that can be used -
> 	e.g. hosts for non-network-machines...

I believe the book already says that...checking....confirmed. They're not
strictly needed so not copied.

>      Ba-finished-lu

Perhaps LFS-2.4.3 will be bug free then ?;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org