Balu's 2.4.2 post-chroot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 24 17:41:25 PDT 2000

> AFAI understand the man-page of localedef it is just "reads the
> indicated charmap and input files, compiles them to a form usable by the
> locale(7) functions in the C library, and places the six output files in
> the outputpath directory."

Could be.
The main question still stands: how do you tell Glibc and other apps to
dispaly French text rather than Spanish or Japanese? There has to be
something that defines what you want. An environment variable perhaps then?

So should the localedef command be removed or not? Anybody here who actually
has his Linux box talk something other than English? I can't test it here
myself. Have to install a new LFS system first that includes NLS, I18N and
all that jazz. That will be a few days. Hopefully somebody can shed some
light here. Since I don't plan on using it myself I don't plan on
investigating it thoroughly. Don't got the time for that so I'm completely
relying on what you guys test and tell me ;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org