Version Numbers - a silly question?

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Wed Oct 25 16:31:10 PDT 2000

Patrik Heidefors wrote:

> Ok, maybe I'm the only one who needs a clue.. but I find myself confused as
> to which version of a program is the latest at times.
>
> Example: Went to download the proftpd program and I'm offered 4 versions:
> proftpd-1.2.0pre10.tar.gz
> proftpd-1.2.0pre9.tar.gz
> proftpd-1.2.0rc1.tar.gz
> proftpd-1.2.0rc2.tar.gz
>
> Ok, even I know that Release Candidate 2 is newer than rc1, and pre10 newer
> than pre9 :)
>
> But, what is the difference between rc2 and pre10? Going by dates, rc2 is
> several months newer, but can I conclude that it's also more stable?

rc stands for Release Candidate, and should be fairly close to the "real
thing"
normaly rc's are fairly stable

> In other cases, such as the isdn4-linud package, I'm given yet another set
> of choices.
> v3.1pre1, v3.1beta7 as well as one numbered 0010251100. The last, I believe
> is a CVS snapshot (whatever that is.. :) and tend to be unstable.

CVS (IIRC Concurent Version System) is a system for developers to have
their updates coordinated properly. This is always (nearly) work in
progress, so you should
only use it if you're into developing.
As for the other two, pre or beta? I would always look at the date, and
take the
newest, or one that is explicitly labeled stable.
Don't know if there is a FAQ/Standard, I guess its a matter of taste

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org