simultaneous install of packages

John E. Garrott Sr johnga at primenet.com
Thu Oct 26 07:50:15 PDT 2000

Shaggy Im-erbtham wrote:

> I am in the middle of chapter 6, installing packages in chroot'ed environment.
>
> I was just wondering if one could simultaneously install two or more packages
> in as many different consoles.
>
> This way, I could start compiling up to four packages at one go, then leave
> the
> computer to do the crunching while I attending to other stuff. I do that
> already
> with one console but figured I could finish faster with more consoles.
>
> TIA
> Shaggy
>
> --

Don't know why not.  I brought up X as soon as I
could and often compile in two or more windows. About
the same thing.

There is a limit however.  Two or three compiles going
at once on my P133 seems to speed things up.  More than
that seems to make them drag.

All I can say is try it.  At worst you'll learn something :)

Good luck,

John

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org