simultaneous install of packages

Patrik Heidefors sfp3334 at post.netlink.se
Thu Oct 26 08:48:34 PDT 2000

The explanation for why a few compiles at once might be more efficient while
going beyond slows things down is fairly simple, if someone doesn't know:
Doing a few, means one process can use the cpu to crunch, while another is
busy writing to harddrive and so forth. But having too many processes at
once creates excessive overhead, where the cpu spends more and more time
keeping track of all the compiles going and more resources swapping back and
forth between them. It's all rather system dependent of course, though the
2-3 at once should be a good rule of thumb.

--
Patrik Heidefors

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org