Static gcc compile prob

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 27 22:15:18 PDT 2000

On October 27, 2000 06:59 pm, you wrote:
> I'm getting this same problem (gcc is 2.95.2 and glibc is 2.1.95, using
> Debian unstable (woody) release.) I've been working on finding a
> solution for a week now, and I've finally subscribed to this list and
> figured I'd give it a shot. My situation is, unfortunately, that I
> cannot downgrade my glibc from the beta version (if my version IS beta)
> or my system will break significantly. Is there a way I can install a
> stable version as an alternate library and compile gcc with that
> instead?

Installing a second Glibc in an alternate location to link gcc against will
be a real hard thing to do. GCC will the have hard-coded the alternate Glibc
path which doesn't exist in LFS unless you hack LFS to keep using that
alternate path.

You have two options:
1) Install a stable Debian, or anything that runs a non-alpha or non-beta
Glibc version. A quick RedHat 6 installation will do just that trick (or get
Debian but that takes a bit longer to install)

2) This is the easiest solution (why i mention it last don't ask) is where
our beloved Jesse Quee comes to the resque: he has a i386 LFS build online:

Point some browser at : http://highos.dhs.org/ALFS/ALFS-2.3.6_i386/usr/bin/
and grab the 'gcc' and 'g++' binaries.
Then go to http://highos.dhs.org/ALFS/ALFS-2.3.6_i386/usr/lib/ and grab the
contents of the gcc-lib directory (this will be some 5 to 6 MB I estimate)

Look under http://highos.dhs.org/ALFS/ALFS-2.3.6_i386/usr/include to see what
else you're missing (get g++ at least)

I think with those you pretty much copied a GCC installation. With a bit of
luck it will even work ;)

Good luck,

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org