Bad link

Stefan Bagdohn sbagdohn at uni-bremen.de
Sun Oct 29 23:20:32 PST 2000

On 29-Oct-00 Matthias Benkmann wrote:
>> How does Joe misbehave in kvt?
>
> First I have to say that I don't really know if it's Joe misbehaving.
> Actually I think it's more likely a bug in kvt or termcap/terminfo. The
> phenomenon is as follows:
>
> I open a new kvt (80x24)  and then start "joe xyz|tee joe1st.log" (the
> file xyz contains the 2 lines "1234" and "5678")
> Everything is fine.
> I do Ctrl-C to exit joe and then immediately start
> "joe xyz|tee joe2nd.log"
> and now joe is kinda upside-down. The line that says "Row 1 Col 1" is in
> the 3rd line from the bottom, the "1234" is in the 2nd line from the
> bottom and the bottom-most line reads "Joe's Own Editor ...."
> The "5678" is not to be seen at all. The cursor is positioned in the 2nd
> line from the top and when I move the cursor, the row and column numbers
> get written to the topmost line.
>
> Comparing joe2nd.log and joe1st.log yields no differences. It seems that
> the 1st execution of joe changed the terminal state in some way. Neither
> "clear" nor "stty sane" makes a difference.
>
> But it gets more interesting than that. If I do "export TERM=linux",
> everything works fine. The error *never* occurs when TERM is set to linux.
> If I do "joe xyz|tee joe3rd.log" with TERM set to "linux", only 1 byte is
> different between joe3rd.log and joe2nd.log
> BTW, the default value for TERM is "xterm" when I start kvt and it doesn't
> matter which terminal type I select in kvt's options.
>
> Now is this a termcap/terminfo problem, or a kvt problem or a problem in
> Joe?
>
> MSB

Hmm, i also got this kind of strange behaviour in the times i used Joe. That
was not on a LFS-system, but on SuSE. Anyway, i did never find out why joe
misbehaves. Try pressing CTRL-R when getting such an ugly screen. It always
helped me, especially after moving things around. Try it and tell me if it
works.
BTW, this was one reason changing to vi.

Stefan

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org