tar man pages on lfs-system

Greg T Hill greghill at terranova.net
Tue Oct 31 20:15:06 PST 2000

On Tuesday 31 October 2000 22:25, you wrote:
> On October 28, 2000 12:27 pm, you wrote:
> > hi list,
> >
> > when i enter a "man tar" to my new lfs it says that there are no man
> > pages for it.
> > i dont need them that much - my normal system has them - but this
> > confuses my a bit.
> > did i do something wrong when i installed tar? installation was
> > copy-paste
>
> The official tar package doens't come with a man page. Try tar --help to
> get some help or read the tar info page (by running: info tar)

Debian has a tar man page that was added because so many people reported the
lack as a bug, its also on Caldera (where I copied it from). Personally I run
makeinfo --html on the texi files on all the GNU packages. It  doesn't work
all that well, on about half the files you have add --force, open them in a
text editor and remove some crud before the actual html tags to get it to
display in a browser, and then the links don't work.   I can never remember
how to navigate the info pages properly, and it annoys the crap out of me.
The info pages are vastly superior to the man pages for learning how to use
thngs, the man pages are more quick references.  To get an tar.html, in the
doc directory of the tar sources : makeinfo --html tar.texi.  The links don't
work, but its still easier for me than the info pages. Or in KDE2 help system
choose "Browse Info Pages" and if the links didn't work before when you used
makeinfo, they still won't work..........;-(

Greg T Hill

*note the chaos in the Discordian date,  "12nd day"?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 12nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3166

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org