more on required packages

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 1 07:18:51 PDT 2000

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Yo
>
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 10:09:19AM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > talking about autoconf - autoconf and automake are not needed until you
> > want to do your own new config.in or makefile.in (while patching a
> > packet or similar), correct?
>
> Are you sure about that? The minute you patch...

True. When you, for example, decide to install console-tools you need to
patch it first else it won't compile properly (missing sgml parsing
environment). When you patch console-tools you need autoconf and/or automake
to recreate Makefile files and other files. I too would vote to keep autoconf
and automake present. They're not all that big anyways. It makes life easier
when you start patching Makefile's, configure scripts, etc.

www.linuxfromscratch.org