more on required packages

John Arrowwood John.Arrowwood at merant.com
Fri Sep 1 09:23:40 PDT 2000

Great idea.  Here's my plan on the matter...

Prefix my path with /usr/local/temp/bin
create $LFS/usr/local/temp
symlink /usr/local/temp to $LFS/usr/local/temp
install all the static utilities (except maybe bash) to $LFS/usr/local/temp

This way, during the installation process, I am using the latest version of
the packages WHILE I am building other packages.  This is needed because in
some cases, the packages on my system are too old, or don't exist, and so I
need them to be available.

Then, once I am done installing everything, I will blow away the temp
directory, effectively removing everything I don't need.  And if I didn't
install gcc, then I no longer HAVE gcc, and so on.

For what it is worth, I would recommend that ALFS do something similar...