/dev/null

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 1 12:30:42 PDT 2000

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> After installing the /dev (makedev), when I try to compile
> gcc I get errors about /dev/null....did I miss something or
> is this still a problem?
>

> ../gcc-2.95.2/config.guess: /dev/null: Permission denied
> .../gcc-2.95.2/config.guess: /dev/null: Permission denied

There are often problems with such files. Enter chroot and check permissions
on /dev/null - is it set to mode 666?

These problems haven't been really fixed yet. I still don't know what causes
it (since I don't get those errors myself it's hard to fix them). It can even
be blamed on the running kernel...

www.linuxfromscratch.org