Installing software in the chroot'ed environment!!!!

Jr. freemanf at cps.acast.nova.edu
Fri Sep 1 22:30:43 PDT 2000

Good morning all:

I just entered my chroot'ed environment and got the bash prompt:

bash-2.04#

My problem now is that when trying to install gcc, I get this error:

bash-2.04# mkdir /usr/src/gcc-build
mkdir: cannot make directory `/usr/src/gcc-build': File exists

I then run the ls command on my /mnt/lfs/usr/src directory and the results show
the following:

bash-2.04# ls
MAKEDEV-2.5  binutils-2.10  diffutils-2.7  gcc-2.95.2  glibc-2.1.3  grep-2.4.2   linux        sed-3.02      sources   textutils-2.0
bash-2.04    bzip2-1.0.1    fileutils-4.0  gcc-build   glibc-build  gzip-1.2.4a  make-3.79.1  sh-utils-2.0  tar-1.13

These were all files created in the begining of the book (version 2.4).  I have
all of the packages in /mnt/usr/src/sources, and when I had to
install a package, I copied it to /mnt/usr/src and unpacked it there and issue
the other commands as written in the book.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong and where I can go from here as far as making
it right?  Could I copy all of these files to another partition
(/mnt/lfs/usr/local/tmp)?

Thank you for any and all assistance.

Linuxly yours
Foyah