Chroot'ed Environment Problem!!!!! Please Help.

blows blows at adinet.com.uy
Sat Sep 2 16:51:22 PDT 2000

"Foyah Z. Freeman, Jr." wrote:

> Good afternoon all:
>

> I posted this problem last night and did not get any response.  I
> searched through the archives and did not find anything that could
> help.  If there is a post that anyone has seen anywhere that might
> help my situation would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I just entered my chroot'ed environment and got the bash prompt:
>
> bash-2.04#
>
> My problem now is that when trying to install gcc, I get this error:
>
> bash-2.04# mkdir /usr/src/gcc-build
> mkdir: cannot make directory `/usr/src/gcc-build': File exists
>
> I then run the ls command on my /mnt/lfs/usr/src directory and the
> results show
> the following:
>
> bash-2.04# ls
> MAKEDEV-2.5 binutils-2.10 diffutils-2.7 gcc-2.95.2 glibc-2.1.3
> grep-2.4.2 linux sed-3.02 sources textutils-2.0
> bash-2.04 bzip2-1.0.1 fileutils-4.0 gcc-build glibc-build gzip-1.2.4a
> make-3.79.1 sh-utils-2.0 tar-1.13
>
> These were all files created in the begining of the book (version
> 2.4). I have
> all of the packages in /mnt/usr/src/sources, and when I had to
> install a package, I copied it to /mnt/usr/src and unpacked it there
> and issue
> the other commands as written in the book.
>
> Any ideas as to what I did wrong and where I can go from here as far
> as making
> it right? Could I copy all of these files to another partition
> (/mnt/lfs/usr/local/tmp)?
>
> Thank you for any and all assistance.
>
> Linuxly yours
> Foyah

Hi,

Well, you can't create the directory gcc-build because already exists
from the previous (static) gcc build.
The files into the directory gcc-build are useless (I think), because
you have to compile a dynamic gcc now, so
you can move the files to another partition or remove it, you only need
the gcc source (/usr/src/gcc-2.95.2),
then follow the book.

I hope understand your problem and sorry if you don't understand my
english, not my default language :)

bye

Joaquin