Hit problems on the m68k after 2 weeks of compiling 24/7

Mon Sep 4 02:47:18 PDT 2000

Hello,

I am currently building an LFS 2.4 (well, it started off as 2.3.7, but 2.4 came out before I entered chroot, so...) on an M68k machine (MVME147 with 68030 and 8MB), and compiling from Debian 2.2, onto an NFS mount  (only has a 200MB HD :)

It compiled all the static packages fine, except GLIBC, which needed the ctype patch, and after that, worked fine..

I entered chroot, and compiled everything up to binutils, without problems (incl. gcc, bash, perl etc)

Then, after compiling binutils, nothing would compile anymore, not even "Hello World".

So, I exited the chroot, and re-make installed the static binutils, which luckly I kept.

Then, compiling seemed to work OK.

I set it off compiling binutils again, overnight. When I got up in the morning, the machine was not responding anymore, not to the network or the serial console. This had happened once before, earlier in the week, and a reboot sorted it, and it carried on fine....

So, I set binutils off again, and it hung again  :(

So I set it off again yesturday evening, and it had been going for about 7 or 8 hours (the static one took 9 hours) when I had to go to bed....

Anyway, got up in the morning, and it had died again...and had not finished binutils...so, it obviously died not long after I went to bed, becuase binutils must have been nearly finished...

So, I set it off again this morning, but instead of just using screen, I nohup'd it as well, so I could see the output...

However, this time it didn't get very far.....I came back after just about 2 hours, and it had died again...

nohup.out shows this:
updating cache ../config.cache
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works...

But, this is a little wierd, because it got so far yesturday with me watching it......

Anyone have any ideas what may be happening?

Do you think something else may not be working properly since I compiled it dynamic?
I don't think it can be GCC, because I have compiled so much with it, since re-compiling it dynamically.

Here is the last few packages I compiled...:

Compiling M4
Compiling Texinfo
Compiling Autoconf
Compiling Automake
Compiling Bash
Compiling Flex
Compiling File
Compiling libtool  <- the machine hung here....restarted it, and libtools then compiled fine

Compiling libtool
Compiling Binutils  <- it was after this that everything started going wrong,....nothing would compile..

What about bash, do you think that could be a problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated..

I am thinking of re-make instaling the static binutils, then skipping binutils for now, and carrying on, and if it finishes the rest, then trying binutils again...

Thanks!

Bye for Now,

Ian

                     \|||/
                     (o o)
 |  Ian Chilton                              |
 |  E-Mail : ian at ichilton.co.uk              |