Hit problems on the m68k after 2 weeks of compiling 24/7

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 4 06:05:50 PDT 2000

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Further to my last message, I tried continuing with the other packages
> using the static binutils. It compiled bzip2 fine but then the machine has
> died on gettext.
>
> THis is obviously either a hardware problem which has developed over the
> last few days (??) or more likely, something I have compiled is causing the
> machine to hang, because everything was compiling fine, and I have got so
> far, and compiled a lot of big packages...

I'd say keep the static versions first then. If something doesn't compile,
try a static version (either in or out of chroot) and recompile those
packages once you have rebooted. I have no answer for this. It can be a
hardware problem yes that only gets triggered when some specific things is
done and it's possible that binutils and gettext trigger that event.

www.linuxfromscratch.org