Chroot'ed Environment Problem!!!!! Please Help.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 4 06:15:33 PDT 2000

> My problem now is that when trying to install gcc, I get this error:
>

> bash-2.04# mkdir /usr/src/gcc-build
> mkdir: cannot make directory `/usr/src/gcc-build': File exists

Others have already explained this but let me add this:

Pasted from chapter 2 "How to install software" from the book:

<quote>
After you have installed a package you can do two things with it. You can
either delete the directory that contains the sources or you can keep it. If
you decide to keep it, that's fine by me. But if you need the same package
again in a later chapter you need to delete the directory first before using
it again. If you don't do this, you might end up in trouble
because old settings will be used (settings that apply to your normal Linux
system but which don't always apply to your LFS system). Doing a simple make
clean does not always guarantee a totally clean source tree. The configure
script can also have files lying around in various subdirectories which
aren't always removed by a make clean process.
</quote>

www.linuxfromscratch.org