Optimisation

Chris Gianelloni twi at faradic.net
Mon Sep 4 12:16:42 PDT 2000

I have been attempting to build my LFS system for some time now.  I
continue running into the same problem.  Everything seems to work just
fine in my static builds.  My base system is Slackware 7.1 with
glibc-2.1.3 and egcs-2.91.66.

I have been attempting to build a very highly optimised system (-O6
-march=i686 -mcpu=i686) using pgcc-2.95.3.  My problem is this:  When I
go to compile Flex (in the chroot environment) autoconf and automake
give segmentation faults, causing the configure to fail.  This only
happens when I am using the dynamic bash (previous step).  If I stick
with the static one they run without segfault.  This appears to be true
of all perl scripts.  perl itself segfaults when I attempt to run it
with perl --version.

I have attempted a build to this point using both egcs-2.91.66 and
pgcc-2.95.3, both with the same results, which leads me more to believe
that the problem is related to optimisations.  Are there any packages
that should *not* be optimised so heavily? glibc?

I have been stuck at this point for about 2 weeks now.  My intention of
building the LFS system is entirely so I can make sure everything is
optimised fully.  The linux kernel source/headers on the LFS are the
same I run on Slackware, 2.2.16 with openwall's security patch and with
the unofficial pentium3 patch.  My system is also SMP, if that makes any
difference.

I am thinking maybe it is either perl itself that doesn't like the
optimisations, or glibc.