Make not finding 'Makefile' in chroot env

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 5 05:40:59 PDT 2000

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, you wrote:

> > Ok, i'm having a problem with Make not finding the Makefiles generated
> after a 'configure'...  Even though they are there and seem to have all the
> data in them...
>
> I'll use 'Make bootstrap'  (for gcc)
> and will generate..
> make: *** No rule to make target `bootstrap'.  Stop.
>
> I'll use 'Make -f ./Makefile bootstrap'
> and will generate..
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gcc/agcc-build/libiberty'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gcc/agcc-build/libiberty'
> make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
>
> Like it's not finding the Makefile in ./libiberty...

It's not the problem of not finding a Makefile. In fact, it did find a
Makefile file, but it can't find a specific rule in that file like
'bootstrap'.

Can you gzip that Makefile file and send it to me personally (don't send it
to this list - it'll just waste bandwidth and not everybody will appreciate
that big file) and I'll have a look at it

www.linuxfromscratch.org