bin86

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 5 05:51:54 PDT 2000

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Decided to do 2.4 "by the book" and realized I've been using bin86-0.4 up
> to this point. Switched to 0.15.1 as in the download list and hit some
> trouble. The Bin86 page in the book reads...
>
> root:bin86# make
> root:bin86# make PREFIX=/usr install
>
> when in fact to work (properly/as intended) with 0.15.1 it needs to be:
>
> root:linux-86# make PREFIX=/usr
> root:linux-86# make install

a make PREFIX=/usr doesn't change the PREFIX path in the Makefile file, does
it? I doubt it and if it doesn't a 'make install' will then default to it's
previous PREFIX and not install in /usr/bin. I'll check though.

> BTW.. for optimal, non-interactive results for 0.15.1 try:
>
> root:linux-86# echo quit | make PREFIX=/usr
> root:linux-86# make install

Hmm. mine's not interactive to start with. I guess I better see if I'm using
some older version like 0.15.0 (i can't remember what the book's using right
now). I'll put this email on the TODO list and reply to it in due time.

www.linuxfromscratch.org