Optimisation

Keith Shapiro kshapiro at lexmark.com
Wed Sep 6 05:54:42 PDT 2000

> I have been attempting to build a very highly optimised system (-O6
> -march=i686 -mcpu=i686) using pgcc-2.95.3.  My problem is this:  When I

Be aware that with gcc-2.95.2 (so more than likely pgcc) that the i686
architecture is Pentium Pro only, NOT Pentium 2/3.  Try using "-march=i586
-mcpu=i586" instead.

What I would speculate is happening is that your glibc (for the chroot
system) was built with Pentium Pro optimizations and therefore any files
you compile using YOUR version of glibc will fail (whereas versions linked
with your original glibc will not).

Keith S.