Adding Static Findutils

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Thu Sep 7 09:37:35 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:02:29AM -0700, John Arrowwood wrote:
> All this work to figure out what files are installed?  Seems to me that if
> you just install to an isolated "prefix" directory, such as
> /usr/local/(package) so that EVERYTHING that gets installed goes to that
> directory, you would have a complete list of what files that package
> installs, relative to the prefix.  Then, by extrapolation, you know what
> files go where.  Sounds pretty simple to me, though I must admit that I
> haven't done it yet (but it's on my todo list).

Actually, the simplest i've found so far (with little trouble really) is doing this.

Before you do a make install;

cd /
find >system.files
cd -
make install
cd -
find >system.files~
diff system.files > packagename.files

It's usually a good idea to use a timestamp check in find too, it's quite easy, imho and it works

-