Adding Static Findutils

root greghill at terranova.net
Thu Sep 7 23:42:51 PDT 2000

Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:50:33PM -0700, John Arrowwood wrote:
> > Might I suggest you append to the instructions that you create
> > "system.files" and "system.files~" before the first command, so that both
> > files exist from the very beginning, and never end up in the results...
> >
> > What exactly would you benefit from using a timestamp search?
>
> *grins from ear to ear*
>
> Ya see, that isn't going to help because you have to take into fact that
> /proc is being read in (unless you parse that with find, it can be done)
>
> Dunno, i usually just do that then modify the output to just list the
> files installled.
>
> A timestamp will check whenever a file has been chanced, say you replace
> a package...
>
> -

I'm using the time stamps with find, and it works fine, but once you get to
the point where you have X, KDE, Gnome, fonts, and other goodies instlalled,
installwatch is MUCH quicker.  Installwatch will work in a chroot environment,
but I haven't figured out at what point it becomes operable. I do know that
before I torched my Caldera installation to make room for 2.4, I booted into
Caldera and chrooted back to LFS and installwatch ran and logged some test
installs. I think that it requires that ldconfig be run, but I don't know
yet.  What I'm workong on are scripts which log installs, update the logs when
files from one package overwrites files from another, and tells you which file
from which package is the survivor.  Good way to learn the system tools and
shell scripting,  and I'm gradually coming up with a good package manger for
myself.

Greg T Hill

$ ddate
Today is Sweetmorn, the 32nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3166