Problems with getting stuff working

Chris Gianelloni twi at faradic.net
Fri Sep 8 12:30:28 PDT 2000

This is my little "hint" contribution.  I assume that this can be used
however deemed fit.  I have found that when I am having problems getting
certain applications to compile or need to figure out settings for
certain packages, I go to slackware.  To be a bit more specific,
ftp.slackware.com.  Grabbing source tarballs from there seems to be a
bit more beneficial to me.  I had one hell of a time trying to get X
compiled on my system, until I went and got the source from the
slackware-current tree.  It had a couple diffs in it which changed some
of the configuration files in the xc/config/cf directory which I wasn't
configuring correctly.  Now, I have a perfectly working X.  I cannot
remember who it was offhand, but one person had mentioned having trouble
compiling elvis.  I also wanted to use elvis rather than vim, so I
grabbed the slack setup and ran the SlackBuild script (after checking it
out for any changes I wanted to make) and voila!

Just a little helpful hint for some of the guys who are getting stuck on
certain packages (not covered in the book.)