M$-Linux (was: What goes with Netscape?)

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Mon Sep 11 12:18:32 PDT 2000

> On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 02:14:30AM +0200, Florin Boariu wrote:
> > I had a tarball of some nightly snapshot. That thing was about 10 MB (or
> > was it 20) to download. It took almost 3 days to compile on an 200 MMX
> > (with interruption -- might have been 30 hrs alltogether) and caused 1.4
> > GB (yes, one point four gigabyte) of trash. Which, of course, didn't run.
>
> And this surprises you? Mozilla is almost more complicated then KDE
> (there making it cross platform)

Actually, it doesn't. It only disappoints me. Have a look at Qt and you
will find a better way to archieve platform independence. After all, it's
just a web browser, not an office suite or a whole windowing system, wich
_might_ (but not necessarily _would_) justfy the ressource waste.

> > I'm really looking forward to konqueror (release date of kde2: sometime
> > next week), especially because it's been completely translated to romanian
> > ;-) [big congrats to Claudiu Costin so far! he'll probably never read this
> > posting though]
>
> And there are always more then one option i've found, Konqueror,
> Mozilla, Gecko (for a stripped down Mozilla), there's a pure GTK version
> also (i hate having to install Gnome or KDE just to run a program),
> Netscape, Opera, etc...

Partly true. I heard good things of opera and I might even give it a try
(but it's not free afaik -- or I got the wrong URL). I don't know Gecko
(is it good?). I tried Amaya (w3c's refference browser, Athena's
successor). It sucks.

> > Does the term "banana software" ring a bell?
>
> No.

(see other mail)

> > What's Blackdown?
>
> Java Plug in for Netscape.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm having JavaScrips and
JavaApplets turned off most of the time. It still crashes.

florin.
--
[...] try this new version instead, which many people believe to
      be the perfect compromise between new and old bugs. :)

	-- announce of ircII 2.9 "roof"