patching in chroot?

Tomislav Greguric greguric at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Sep 12 05:04:25 PDT 2000

Hi Thomas!

[snip]
> xargs.c:63: macro `strstr' used without args
> xargs.c:64: macro `strdup' used without args
> make[1]: *** [xargs.o] Error 1
> locate.c: In function `main':
> locate.c:360: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../lib/libfind.a', needed by
> `locate'.  Stop.
[snip]

I had the same error a time ago when I compiled a 10-years-old package
on my Linux ix86. I can not remember anoymore which one of the two
following solutions solved this problem, so just try them both, each
one on their own and then both together:

1. If not set, try "gcc -traditional" (plus the rest of your CFLAGS),
   and vice versa.

2. Remove / comment out the definitions of the macros "strdup" and
   "strstr".

So long and good luck,
Tomislav