LFS-Sources

Torsten Vollmann Torsten at Vollmann-Online.de
Tue Sep 12 05:40:19 PDT 2000

> It would be a *very* useful tool though, if you are able to write such a thing...
>
> Maybe such a took would also be useful to the ALFS project, so it could automatically download updated version so the packages, if a newer version is available.

Well - lets think about it for a moment:

1.: Would it be a good idea to integrate new source-versions to the alfs project without further checking? If I have got the message in another posting right Gerard
is checking every new version bevor letting it slip into LFS...

2.: What would this little proggy have to do/know?

- the base-address of the source-files: ftp.xxx.yyy/pub/source-name/
- the way the versions are nubered: source-x.y.z.tar.gz
- wether the version-number is also inside the tarfile: /usr/src/source/ vs. /usr/src/source-x.y.z/

- it would also be helpfull to download version-histories / changelogs to see what's new

- then it has to tell the install-programm (ALFS or whatever) that there a new source-file and what it is named
- and the installer has to know if it is enough to simply compile and install the new sources or if other parts of LFS have to be recompiled, too.

It sounds like a lot of work - and I have to admit that my time-scedule is to tight at this moment (I already spent to much time with LFS and to less with my
robotics-studies...) and I've planned to concentrate my LFS-work on learning more about the single packages - but maybe the future will give solutions ;-)

But we should follow this path, I think...