LFS-Sources

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Tue Sep 12 07:20:07 PDT 2000

Hi!

Nevertheless, such a program might be all right. It needn't make _all_ the
suggested things, a simle notice like "hey, there's a new gnuplot out
there" and optionally a download might be even enough. The naming schemes
of (L)GPLed software are fairly consistent, and where they aren't
consistent, they are consequent (i.e. if a program chosses to name itself
v.v.v-package.tar.gz, it will mostly do it all the time).

All you need to do is set up a huge data base like this:

package name	|	url-base		|	naming scheme
GNUplot		| ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnuplot	| \name-\maj.\min.\rev.tgz

and let the program check the url base dir and store the results. You can
view the results once a day and let download the new packages you-re
interested in. Then you can still decide whether you'd like to install it
or not. Of course, you can plug in some version-filters, i.e. accept only
\min version numbers that can be divided by two (for some packages this is
the "stable"-stamp).

All this show can even be done with some shell scripts, your local mail
delivery system and one or two cron jobs. Oh, and some ftp/http program
that can be run noninteractively.

We could use a shared data base. There might even be a good idea to talk
to the people at Freshmeat and use their database... although I think that
would lead a little too far, with 20.000 entries in your local database.

regards,
florin.

--
[...] try this new version instead, which many people believe to
      be the perfect compromise between new and old bugs. :)

	-- announce of ircII 2.9 "roof"