/etc/lfsversion

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 12 18:51:33 PDT 2000

> > I've been thinking about having the user create a simple file
> > /etc/lfsversion that contains one line: 2.4
> > or whatever version of the book was used.
>
> It's a bit too distro-like for my taste, but I think I like it. It will
> eventually make support easier. But don't count on me to have a
> /etc/lfsversion on my system. ;)

You would think that an lfs'er remembers which book version he/she used to
install LFS. But I've seen quite a few times that people forgot that. I'm
just trying to find the best way to get to this information without the user
having to guess.

Heck, the other day I wanted to see what my notebook was running. I couldn't
remember because it had been a long time since I installed LFS on it. I could
only guess it was 1.3, since glibc-2.0 was still on it. But it could have
been 1.2 as well (not that it mattered in that case but sometimes it does
when you need to debug a problem and know in what version something was
fixed). So if I had an /etc/lfsversion file I would have known for sure what
it ran.

Instead, the book can make that recomendation, even if it's just for your own
administration. If you install LFS on a lot of systems (like I do for bcpub)
you might want to remeber what version runs on which (it's critical for me to
know which bcpub.com servers run which LFS version)

www.linuxfromscratch.org