/etc/lfsversion

Erika Pacholleck Pacholleck.E at gmx.de
Tue Sep 12 22:50:51 PDT 2000

( Mit, 13 Sep 2000 ) Gerard Beekmans <-- :
> The TODO list showed 'discuss /etc/lfsversion'. Let's start that now.
>
> I've been thinking about having the user create a simple file /etc/lfsversion
> that contains one line: 2.4
> or whatever version of the book was used.

Creating another file for that is not neccessary for LFS.
On my lfs-system it is a variable LFSVERSION="x" in /etc/sysconfig/version
which is used by my initscripts, /etc/issue and /etc/sysconfig. (must be similar to Davids)

For ALFS I also think to create different xyzversion files is not a good solution.
There would be 2 possible locations to my mind
distribution configuration files should go into /etc/distribution/
system configuration files should go to /etc/sysconfig/ (but thats ALFS stuff)

I did not yet read all the LSB parts, so I don't know if it is must, may or just discussion.
Case it is a must, well, do not discuss just do it (that's the only way to obey all standards).
But then my lfs will be the second (after Simons)  to be non-compliant

Erika