686 to 486 'cross compile'

Rich B rich at budlight.com
Wed Sep 13 09:18:37 PDT 2000

Hey All,

I'm going to start building LFS 2.4 for an old 486 box. However, due to HDD constraints, etc., I can't install a 'build' environment on that box. I was therefore planning to chuck the HDD into my LFS 2.3.7 PII box and build from there and then pop the HDD back into the 486.

What issues may there be from 'cross compiling' from a -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 to a 486. Do I change the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS on the PII? When I did this with the BASH build it still claimed to be 'Building for i686...', although it seemed to compile with 486 flags.

Thanks a lot,

Rich