News server?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 13 11:48:07 PDT 2000

> > I gotta admit, there are so many messages flowing across this list (and the
> others) that I can't read them all and still get any work done.  And, I
> really wish I could view them in a threaded format, like you can with a
> newsreader.  But, alas, I am stuck using Outlook, which (as far as I can
> tell) doesn't give me that option.
>
> So, what's the likelihood of using a news server to handle all this stuff?
> I vaguely recall something being mentioned, but I don't know where that
> ever got to.

Paul Jensen has worked on that but it was a tricky business to setup a
news<->email gateway. Problems were related to enless mail loops. You post to
newsserver, that post goes to mailinglist. But because mail posted to
mailinglist must go to newsserver, a loop is inevitable. Now that i switched to
Listar things may be easier because Listar uses the X-Delivered-To: email
header. I"ll try a newsserver again at some point but I can't say when.

A crude solution would be you browsing
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives

They are updated every 12 hours for all the *lfs-* lists. It's not real time
and it's hard to spot new messages in a threaded view, but a view by date could
be workable.

www.linuxfromscratch.org