glibc segfault

Serguei Ostrovskii sostrovs at kns.com
Thu Sep 14 10:59:27 PDT 2000

Richard Bland wrote:

> I'm really 'Rich B', but posting from work now...
>
> >But you didn't hold yourself from changing GCC/binutils flags, do you
> ?
> >BTW, you certainly do not need sunrpc for SQL sever, right.
>
> I compiled gcc and binutils with -O3 I believe, but they aren't being
> used to compiled glibc are they? Or am I being simple?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

First I'm sorry for that bad joke about sunrpc.
Sunrpc is the flavor of interprocess communication mechanism
supported by kernel. Has origins in SunOS.
Second, compiler compiles the source and outputs the assembler code.
Assembler code gets assembled and you have object code.
Object code linked into executable by linker.
( It is kind of short scenario, but I don't enjoy typing ).
Assembler and linker live in binutils.
I honestly wish you good luck with SQL server.

Sergey Ostrovsky.