Can I use precompiled gcc-libc?

Richard Bland RBland at PeopleSupport.com
Fri Sep 15 13:25:19 PDT 2000

I don't know if this is 'correct' but, to follow up on Gerard's point, what
I have done before now is create a /lib/precompiled in LFS where I copy libs
from my old RH6.2 system.

I then modded ld.so.conf or whatever it's called in /etc to add that path
and run ldconfig (or whatever - sorry for the vagueness I'm not in front of
a linux box)

This way, I figured I could keep those nasty precompiled libs separate from
my pristine hand-compiled libs, and would one day go back and compile the
libs in /lib/precompiled when I learnt a bit more linux/gnu.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Beekmans [mailto:gerard at linuxfromscratch.org]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 1:08 PM
To: lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: Can I use precompiled gcc-libc?

> I tried to install these from SuSE rpms and Debian debs but neither
> is fooled into installing to $LFS - too smart! I would very much

too smart or too dumb...depends the way you look at it ;)

> appreciate any pointers to binaries if possible or some advice on
> circumventing this problem.

Ok what you can try to do is simply copying the /lib/* files from SuSe to
the
LFS partition. You also will have to copy some files form /usr/lib probably
(the static libraries). Don't copy all the files, so you have to do a 'ls
/usr/lib' to see which ones belong to glibc. They have the same names as the

ones in /lib, but just end with a .a extension.
Though conventions vary from system to system, so don't take my word for it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org