LFS on Alpha - some results - need advisce!

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 17 13:37:58 PDT 2000

> Does the fact that I can chroot to $LFS and run many of the packages I
> compiled dynamically, mean that glibc has succesfully installed? In other
> words I am not too sure that the executables I tested (like sed, grep,
> gzip etc) are actually the ones I compiled and not of potatos, and if they
> are $LFS's that they are running with the libc of $LFS. (I tried running
> a couple of programs like pico and vim that are in potato and not in LFS
> but I got the "command not found message", so I dare say this means Yes!)

Yes, whatever you run in chroot will use LFS's Glibc version. If they run,
they will also run when you actually boot into LFS.

> Should I continue installing Chapter 6 packages the same way, eg
> dynamcally compiling with the original installation's gcc? If so I would
> appreciate any advice on this, I can already see that the prefix $LFS
> will be needed in make and possibly configure.

Yes in your case it's not a problem (it's never a problem as long as LFS and
the normal Linux distro use the same Glibc version). Afterall, what's why
RPM's work: pre-compiled binaries that are linked against the same Glibc
version (or sometimes linked against an older version but that doesn't always
work well) run on almost every other system with the same Glibc version.

www.linuxfromscratch.org