LFS 2.4 - Hang on 1st reboot

Richard Bland RBland at PeopleSupport.com
Mon Sep 18 00:39:08 PDT 2000

Hmm, no luck with the init=/bin/bash line. I was doing a :

<tab name> init=/bin/bash

at the lilo prompt to pass the init param - I think this is correct. The
only wierdity I noticed during the LFS 2.4 install was when I came to
install the boot image using lilo. When I ran lilo it gave me 'command not
found' or whatever bash says on not finding a command. /sbin wasn't on the
path, so I added it to my /etc/profile. Is this symptomatic of a bigger
problem?

Thanks

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Avery Fay
To: lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
Sent: 9/17/00 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: LFS 2.4 - Hang on 1st reboot

--- Rich B <rich at budlight.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> OK, I've got as far as the first reboot from the LFS 2.4 boot, and
> the boot stops at:
>
> VFS : Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 32k freed
>
> And then just sits there. I'm not so familiar with the boot process
> as to know 'what happens next'. The target machine was running RH6.2,
> so I know it's capable of running OK.
>
> Any ideas as to whar _should_ come next? Kernel ver 2.2.15 and 2.2.17
> have been used to the same effect.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

Well, from this point the init scripts should take over. First on the
LILO command line add init=/bin/bash and see if you can get bash
running. If you can it's probably an init problem. Check to make sure
init is installed as /sbin/init. If it is, compare your /etc/inittab
file to the one used in LFS and make sure they are the same.

Hope this helps,
Avery Fay

http://mail.yahoo.com/