LFS 2.4 - Hang on 1st reboot

Richard Bland RBland at PeopleSupport.com
Tue Sep 19 08:25:52 PDT 2000

OK, here's the latest:

On the build machine (i686), the new LFS HDD boots fine.
On the target machine (i486), the new LFS HDD hangs as below.

I've moved both the IDE controller and the HDD from box-to-box, as IDE
controllers can differ in implementation. The CHS in the BIOS are the same
(I think).

Is it worth building a static, i386 BASH and trying to pass an
init=/bin/bash at the lilo prompt? If I try this now, using the current BASH
on the i486, I get nothing (as below). Could I, in theory, JUST have the
kernel, lilo and BASH (in /bin) on the HDD and it'll boot passing the
init=/bin/bash from lilo?

I've rebuilt the Kernel (2.2.17), but to no effect.

Thanks,

Rich