LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 19 09:15:48 PDT 2000

> I think ALL should have this problem, when trying to install LFS out of
> LFS itself, because our LFS system are all the same, as long as we used
> the rules from the book!!!

I forgot to tell you this: your /etc/nsswitch.conf file could be faulty as
well: this is the file used by Glibc to determine where the passwd and group
files are located. But if the file's missing it reverts to certain defaults
(to be exact: it reverts to the defaults that the nsswitch.conf file in the
book has - that's why things work fine in chroot - glibc will fall back to
use passwd and group files and tries to find them in /etc)

But if SuSe had a different convention, which I doubt, the Glibc installed in
$LFS/lib could be looking for different defaults (I've seen that problem
before when LFS was installed using libc5 as the default system).

So you could try to create the $LFS/etc/nsswitch.conf file before you enter
chroot. What the file should look like can be read in chapter 6

www.linuxfromscratch.org