LFS 2.4 - Hang on 1st reboot

KURIYAMA Kazunobu kazunobu.kuriyama at nifty.com
Tue Sep 19 11:30:30 PDT 2000

Richard Bland wrote:

> I set the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for -march=i486 and -mcpu=i486 in the
> .profile, so it _should_ have compiled to that platform, unless the
> Makefile over-rode.
>
> I've tried passing init=/bin/bash and even init=/bin/ls from lilo, but
> it just stops.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

This comment  may be helpful for you, which is taken from
xc/config/cf/xf86site.def in the X Window
source tree:

/*
 * The default optimisation flags for GCC 2.x.  -fno-strength-reduce is
 * here to work around a bug in -O2 for GCC 2.x on i386 platforms.
 * If you are using a version that doesn't have this bug, you can
 * uncomment the following line, and remove '-fno-strength-reduce'
 * If you are building binaries for a 486, it may be beneficial to add
 * -m486
 *
#define DefaultGcc2i386Opt      -O2 -fno-strength-reduce
 */

This suggests that  -mcpu=i486 or -march=i486 or both should be replaced
with -m486.

Regards,
Kazu