module for loopback not working on bootup

Kyle West sithii at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 22:18:07 PDT 2000

I hope someone can help me out with this.  I have installed LFS twice, and
each time when I start my new system, I have seen the following error
message right after the "INIT: version 2.78 booting" line:

Bringing up the loopback interface...modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
net-pf-9
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-9
						[OK]
Setting up hostname...				[OK]

In my modules/net directory, the only module I have listed is dummy.o.
After I made my new kernel, I ran depmod to make the modules.dep file.  If
it's relevant, I am using an NE2K compatible card, and support for it should
be compiled in to the kernel (not as a module).

After my system has booted up, I go to /etc/init.d and run ./localnet stop,
which works ok, and then ./localnet start, which now works without giving
the modprobe error.  I am assuming that something is getting set or turned
on later in the boot process that localnet is expecting to already be there.
  Any ideas?  This is obviously easy to work around, but for educational
purposes at least I'd like to know what is causing this.

Is running depmod mentioned anywhere in the LFS documentation?  First I had
the module dependencies errors and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the
lfs doc.. I lucked out finding it mentioned in a man page.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!