Hang on reboot after installing kernel

KL Davis info at nanux.com
Wed Sep 20 09:10:22 PDT 2000

Once again, I come in too late to the conversation... but, to clear up a
couple of things if I may?

> Kernel panic: Kernel cmpiles for Pentium+, requires TSC
> In swapper task - not syncing
>       [hangs.....]

Your kernel is simply compiled for the wrong processor...
TSC is the Time-Stamp Counter included in the Pentium and later
architecture. Without boring you all to death with some pretty dry
reading -- It monitors and identifies the time of occurrence of processor
events, this is relative time.

TSC is very important in SMP systems! Just FYI... the new -pre8 kernel has
been patched with a TSC patch that allows multiple CPUs with dfferent
multipliers to run together - properly! (take note all you Abit BP6 users).
I do not know if the patch has been accepted? I can email the guy and see?

> TIA
> Shaggy

Oh and btw: Bogo is shortened from bogus... meaning not real.

Later!