gcc problem in chroot

chris ccasey at mac.com
Wed Sep 20 11:50:22 PDT 2000

when trying to compile gcc in the chrooted directory, I get the following error:

Configuring for a i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/src/gcc-build using "mh-frag" and "mt-frag"
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O3 -mcpu=i386 -march=i386   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I checked /usr/bin & cc does point to gcc, & I didn't find anything in the
archives.  I also tried -O2, -O, & no optimization with essentially the same
error (that is the letter O & not the number zero, correct?)

thanks for any help

Chris