dueling compilers Was: 2.5.1

Ainsley Pereira lfs-discuss at executor.karoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 12:43:37 PDT 2000

In message <200009201919.PAA22198 at shuttle>
          "James J." <jjohnson at eclipse.ncsc.mil> wrote:

> Incidentally, what is the difference between gcc and egcs? (Beside the
> fact that one does a better job of compiling X401 for an i810 than the
> other:)

egcs was an experimental branch of gcc so that people could have new features quicker. Since gcc 2.95, egcs has been merged back into the main code stream,
and I believe they intend to release gcc more often rather than have a separate branch in the future. (You can think of egcs as gcc 2.91)

~a.

   / Ainsley Pereira       /   aka Marble on Snowplains   /
  /                       / telnet://snowplains.org:3456 /