2.5.1

KURIYAMA Kazunobu kazunobu.kuriyama at nifty.com
Wed Sep 20 14:23:59 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> > >       "If your PC uses i810 and you need X401, it would be better to
> > > choose egcs-2.91-66 from
> > > the beginning because gcc-2.95.2 is able to compile X401 all but an X
> > > server driver module for i810.
> > > (This failure does not quit the compilation, so you are likely to
> > > overlook it until the compilation has finished.)
> > > This is due to a bug which prevents the compiler from parsing the kernel
> > > header file agpgart.h, and thus
> > > the driver module fails to be compiled."
>
> I have an i810 card and I compiled X-4.0.1 yesterday using gcc-2.95.2 and the
> driver is working just fine (although I needed up upgrade to a 2.4 kernel to
> get it working properly but that's not a gcc bug, it's a kernel module
> provided by intel.com bug)
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

No, it's not. Intel's modules is for X335 and X336, not X401. It is not
appropriate to use intel's agpgart.o for
X401.

In my case, the gcc failed to compile
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/i810/i810_memory.o.
But this does not cause the compilation to quit. (gcc will not crash.)

If you keep the 'world.log', you will find [Error] i810_memory.o  in it. Reading
it more carefully, you will
find the error is due to the parsing error of agpgart.h, which is included both
X and 2.4.0-test8 source tree,
they are the same though.

Regards,
kazu