Why --disable-nls in static bash?

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Thu Sep 21 11:34:27 PDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Justin Judd wrote:

> I was perusing the bash documentation for 2.04 and in the list of options
> for configure there is no option to enable or disable nls, yet in the LFS
> 2.4 book, the configure command includes "--disable-nls". Is it
> superfluous?

You seem to be right. There is no mention of nls besides the file nls.c. A
simple grep on the top directory reveals nothing nls-related in the
configuration files:

[ ~/bash-2.04 ]$ grep nls *
grep: CWRU: Is a directory
MANIFEST:lib/readline/nls.c     f
Makefile.in:              $(RL_LIBSRC)/terminal.c $(RL_LIBSRC)/nls.c \
Makefile.in:              $(RL_LIBDIR)/kill.o $(RL_LIBDIR)/undo.o
$(RL_LIBDIR)/nls.o \
grep: builtins: Is a directory
grep: cross-build: Is a directory
grep: doc: Is a directory
grep: examples: Is a directory
grep: include: Is a directory
grep: lib: Is a directory
grep: support: Is a directory
grep: tests: Is a directory

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA