Netkit

Kyle West sithii at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 14:23:53 PDT 2000

One reason I would throw out for this not to be standard is because first
and foremost, it's a security hole.  Given that it was the first thing I
installed by myself after installing the base LFS kit, since it's mighty
useful.. But it could quite conceivably be the difference between a hacker
getting in or not, and IMHO shouldn't be standard on any system without the
user/administrator explicitly knowing the risks.  This is, in fact, the
exact reason I chose not to go with a pre-made distribution such as redhat.
There are so many little extras in there that are security breaches that it
just wasn't worth it to me to try tracking them all down.

What I'd be interested in knowing is what happened to the additional
software info?  I have accessed the linuxdoc.org page several times in the
last couple weeks because they have LFS 2.2, with additional networking
info, X and window manager installation..  Is it going to be coming back in
a future version, or would it be a viable project for someone besides Gerard
(any volunteers?  perhaps I would do it...) to start up a 2nd how-to to add
goodies to an LFS install?  I realize that a lot of how-to's are already out
there for misc software, but in my own attempts at customizing LFS, there
doesn't seem to be a very comprehensive one-place document.  Just finding
out what a window manager was took me several hours of surfing.