Netkit

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 25 18:20:02 PDT 2000

The reason why netkit-base is used and not netkit-combo is to keep from
installing stuff you don't need or want (always exceptions to that of course
- heck I even install netkit-ftp on all my own systems to have the small
simple ftp client but it still won't make it to the book). The book gives you
a basic system (though one can discuss the need of a few packages but I've
made a choice a long time ago and it was agreed upon that the current list of
installed packages is a fairly decent list and there are always things
missing. That's where you come in: it's your system, you install it yourself)
without added features. That's why things like X, PPP, email and such have
disappeared from the book (the only reason 2.2 is still available on linuxdoc
is because they don't seem to be in a big hurry updating it) and is going to
end up in the LFS InfoSys like Jesse mentioned.

No, I haven't done much on the LFS InfoSys. I've got some basic ideas in the
back of my head but haven't been able to start coding anything yet. I'm
moving into a new appartment in less than 3 weeks so I won't be starting on
LFS InfoSys before I move out. I planned on starting a week or two after I
move out but I have to try and find time to fit it in my regular work hours.
I can do only so much in my offtime.

www.linuxfromscratch.org