lilo problem

Peter Hood phood at bak.rr.com
Mon Sep 25 18:44:07 PDT 2000

My lilo.conf file:
	boot=/dev/hda
	map-/boot/map
	install=/boot/boot.b
	prompt
	timeout=50
	linear
	default=linux

	image=/boot/lfskernel
	label=lfs
	root=/dev/hda5     (my /mnt/lfs partition)
	read-only

when I run /sbin/lilo -v

the message

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/lfskernel
Added lfs
Fatal: No images have been defined

If I comment out the top 7 lines in lilo.conf (added by redhat) and run same
command I get
Reading boot sector form current root
Fatal: Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0X305

I am thinking that somehow (probably my error) lilo is somehow trying to get
to /dev/hda2 (the /root drive in the redhat installation)
I am not sure how the files got into the lfs partition /boot but they are as
follows.

System.map (copied from linux directory after rebuilding the kernel)
boot-menu.b
boot.0030
boot.b
chain.b
lfskernel (copied from linux directory after rebuilding the kernel)
map
os2_d.b
vmlinuz
vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0 (copied over from the redhat side)

I don't think I copied the whole /boot directory from the redhat side in
that part of the book but I am unsure how these items got put in this
directory.

Would it work to clear out this directory leaving the vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
file and start over.  I would need to know what installations put the other
things that are needed in this directory.

help is very appreciated
Peter